2014 started with a new bag, apparently. Not bad as beginnings go 🙂
I really needed a new handbag, and I’ve been thinking of making this exact bag since I got The BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook for Christmas more than a year ago.
This is my take on “Our Bag”, Chie’s variation.
I used three different fusible interfacings on this – H200 for zipper installation both on top and inside the bag and in the bag handles, H250 for the side panels (where the outer pockets are) and this really thick fusible felt for the bag bottom.
The fabric is medium weight cotton from Ikea, and I’ve previously made a bag from it for a friend. I just love having this print on my handbag!
The bow is made from a synthetic chiffon with a really nice drape, and I used my Juki to make the lovely rolled hem (I love the fact that I have a serger in my possession!).
I substituted shoulder straps for two fairly long handles – my shoulders are not designed for carrying things over long stretches of time as they get inflamed.
The bag came together fairly easy, although there were some broken needles along the way, and some parts, like the elastic inserts, that took more time than anticipated.
I added a zippered pocket on one side and two open pocket on the other side inside the bag. They’re similar to Chie’s suggestions, but constructed a bit differently. I find doing a welt pocket without adding the actual welts (if that makes sense) the best solution for a zippered pocket, as it’s a stable construction.
I’m really pleased by the result; finally I have a handbag of the right size that is well put together and not the most simple construction. I love it when I step out of my comfort zone (the Itty Bitty Bag) and do something new! It even has room for my bottle 🙂
I still love the fact that I can go from this:…