I decided to go all out and just have fun with this project. Luckily the deadline was extended, as I’m currently recovering from burnout.
I wanted to make two dresses in one, in a project I ended up calling the Kinder Surprise Dress.
The competition rules stated that I had to create my version of one of the patterns featured in the book BurdaStyle Sewing Vintage Modern. I could use ne of the existing patterns or I could alter one or more of the patterns. I opted for the latter, making a princess seamed bodice from the Elizabeth Gathered-Waist Dress. I changed the neckline, lowering it in front and back, and making the back neckline square instead of rounded. In addition I decided to make a front closure on the dress.
In order to get two dresses in one, I fastened a jersey underskirt and four layers of tulle to the bodice, making a dress with a wide, fluffy skirt. In addition I fastened the hook-side of hook-and-eye tape at the waist, and made a half-circle-skirt from the same satin as I used in the bodice, which could be fastened to the hooks.
As a finish, I decided to trim the whole satin skirt with shiny satin bias tape and a satin ribbon was used to make a belt.
I’m happy with my resulting LBD with party factor and I had fun making it.