As we chose to get married in September, and there’s no way of guessing the weather and temperature in Norway, I had decided to make a coat or jacket to wear over my wedding dress. As described earlier, I chose the beatutiful Nora pattern from Burdastyle. The fabric used is blue-shot red dupioni silk with red acetate lining. I altered the sleeves based on the description for Ana’s Military Jacket, and started by sewing the lining complete with skirt, but only the jacket part of the outer fabric. Later I added the skirt to the outer fabric as well, as a coat would be more practical than a jacket when travelling in my wedding dress on a train. That said, I’m definetly making a jacket from this pattern sometime in the future.
I hemmed the coat by use of satin ribbon as described earlier, and added cuffs to the sleeves after cropping them just below the elbow. My search after the perfect ribbon ended with a combination of a wine red satin ribbon (50 mm) and a cream organza ribbon (35 mm) with cut-out hearts. After all it was my wedding day, and I think they looked cute on the coat. As closure I used hook-and-eye tape.
Photos by Andrea C.
My purse was made from the dress fabric, red-shot orange dupioni silk, lined with red acetate. It was made after the Itty Bitty Bag pattern, complete with zipper. I love this pattern, as it’s so easy to work with, and making a purse to match your outfit can be done in such short time. The flower on the purse (as well as the one in my hair) is from a local handmade-shop in Riga, Latvia, and made out of linen yarn with amber pebbles attached to the centre.
Making this outfit was such a great experience, and I recommend anyone out there who are thinking about making their own wedding dress to at least give it a try.
Get over here and sign this prenup! – my wedding dress complete with coat, purse, nail polish and new shoes. Photo by Andrea C.