At last I’ve started to work on my new coat. I’ve been wanting a new coat for quite some time now, as the coat I have is a bit tight, and the coat skirt is a straight down pencil skirt, which doesn’t give room to my wider skirts, which I love to wear. I’ve had a 50′s look in mind for my new coat, and adore the design on this 50′s Blue Boucle New Look Hourglass Coat! Perhaps with a somewhat smaller skirt.
As I got The BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook for Christmas, and this book featured a basic coat pattern with some of the design I wanted (princess seamed bodice), I decided to go for it and see what I could make from this pattern.
I found some old curtains (probably a wool shoddy/synthetic blend) in my parent’s attic and used these to make the first draft after altering the neckline and collar and making a pattern for a double breasted front. It’s not impossible that I rip the basting seams of this jacket and make a real jacket for spring from the same fabric pieces – I actually think this fabric (which looked like some hideous old curtains) possesses a certain charm and could make a cool jacket – especially with the big collar (that needs some alterations in order to work).
After making this first draft, I altered the neckline and collar once more in order to make them look more like what I had in mind when I started, and made another muslin from the same fabric. I added a half-circle-skirt to the bodice to see if this skirt would be too wide or not, using old velvet curtains for the back skirt as I ran out of fabric. As a finishing touch I added cuffs to the sleeves, inspired by the blue coat mentioned above. I think this look will work, and look forward to make the real thing sometimes soon. I just have to do my project for the BurdaStyle Vintage Modern Sewing Contest first, as the deadline is less than three weeks away.